Meteor Choice Music Prize 2014: The Verdict by Peter N






Meteor Choice Music Prize 2014: The Verdict

by Peter N

The shortlist for the 2014 Irish Album of the Year Award is:

Aphex Twin – Syro (Warp)

Delorentos – Night Becomes Light (Universal Ireland)

The Gloaming – The Gloaming (Real World)

Hozier – Hozier (Rubyworks/Universal)

James Vincent McMorrow – Post Tropical (Faction)

Sinead O’ Connor – I’m Not Bossy, I’m The Boss (Nettwerk)

Damien Rice – My Favourite Faded Fantasy (Warner Music)

The Riptide Movement – Getting Through (Universal Ireland)

U2 – Songs of Innocence (Island)

We Cut Corners – Think Nothing (Delphi)


Has there even been a more commercial list up for the Choice Music Award .... sorry Meteor Choice Music Award? There always was a sense from the Choice award that it wasn't always about album sales [or album giveaways] but about a system where the best 10 albums of the year would be given a spotlight and the merits of each album discussed and debated by 'industry' folk. 

I'm delighted that my favourite two albums of the year from Mr. Rice & Mr. McMorrow are in the mix. They were always going to be there in fairness. Along with Hozier who had to be there. I'm delighted that 'We Cut Corners' are there because I love their sound even if I don't warm to their albums. A lack of depth always leaves me wanting more. Delorentos are rewarded for a solid release and The Riptide Movement must be wondering why they didn't clean up their sound, cut their hair and have a shave years ago. Sinead's album is her best in a long time with many great tunes and U2 do their thing but both will struggle to find many supporters of Irish music hoping for a win. I can't talk about Aphex Twin at all. I have a suspicion that all the mainstream albums will split the votes leaving the way for the uniqueness of The Gloaming to shine through. 









The Meteor Choice Music Prize Live Event at Vicar St, Dublin on Thursday, March 5th 2015.

Comments