Interview: JP Kallio








1. Who are you?
My name is J.P. Kallio. I am a singer songwriter, guitarist and a singer in a band called Sliotar for the past 14 years and I have recorded four solo albums of my songs and the latest of them is coming out on the 2nd of December. Born in Finland, but Ireland has been my home for the past 18 years.

2. Where are you based?
Dublin, slap bang in the middle of it :-)

3. What achievements do you want me to know about?
Since the beginning of 2014 I've been writing, recording and releasing a song every week. I'm a pretty proud of that :-) Also I have well over 200 blog posts on my website, about music, songwriting, music business and promotion and life in general. It's something I love doing as well, but it is becoming a quite impressive resource for any musician trying to find their place in the modern music business. There is a lot of stuff on the blog that I wish someone would have told me when I was starting up. 





4. What are you up to now? Well my latest album is coming out this week, so that’s exciting. Also I'm about to finish my year of recording a song a week. It's been a wild ride and a small part of me wants to keep going ;-) I'll definitely will be doing some solo tours in the next year as well as touring with Sliotar. This has been a busy year, but I got a feeling 2015 will be crazy.

5. Name something unique about you or/and your product?
About me? I'm a dyslexic songwriter and a blogger :-D

6. What is the best song ever written?
Tough one... Not sure if I can put it down to one... But the Johnny Cash’s version of NIN's "Hurt" is pretty epic.

7. What's the best album ever made?
"Closing time" by Tom Waits. I know Tom Waits is one of those artists that all songwriters think is cool to like... But "Closing time" really is a bit of a masterpiece in songwriting and storytelling.

8. What are your future plans?
Songs can be powerful things, they can give hope to people, keep them company when they are alone, give them hope when they are down. Also writing the blog give's me a chance to give something back and help others. I think I would like to try to have a positive effect on as many peoples life's as possible. I know it sounds bit airy fairy, but I went through some crap in my life and still I am making the most of it. If I can inspire others to do the same, that would be brilliant.

9. Where can I spend money on you or your product?

You can buy my albums from my website: www.jpkalliomusic.com and from iTunes, Amazon and all the usual online stores. My music is also on Spotify and several other streaming services and if you'd want few free songs just sign up to my mailing list on my website and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes ;-)



Comments